Mediation is an alternative way to resolve your disputes. It is a process whereby a third party, the Mediator, is specially trained to help you to resolve your family and financial issue. Mediation is not limited to couples who are divorcing or separating, mediation can provide support to extended family members for example grandparents who would like contact to their grandchildren, or parents who have provided money to purchase the family home.
The advantages of mediation include;
- You and your ex partner are responsible for the good outcome, not a Judge.
- Mediation can be more cost effective than litigation and is quicker than using the family court system.
- You have an equal say in the future of your family rather than the family courts imposing a solution on you.
- The decisions regarding how the joint family assets should be divided are yours and not the family courts imposing a solution on you.
- Mediation helps you to explore the options.
- Mediation helps you to make sure that the new options are workable in this new chapter of your life.
- Mediation is a difficult process but it is less stressful than litigation.
- Mediation allows you to remain in control of the costs.